Our mission is to provide comprehensive help to students from China wishing to pursue at least part of their high school education in the Toronto area.
You want your child to get admitted to the best possible western university and then get the best possible grades when he gets there. That combination is most likely to result in his getting the best possible job. Whether he ultimately wants to return to China or not he will want to have the choice to obtain his permanent residency and then his citizenship in a western country. With increasingly high standards for the type of job required to qualify for permanent residency every advantage in the job search is of critical importance.
To get into the best university and then succeed there your child needs four things:
(a) excellent English language skills;
(b) an understanding of western culture;
(c) as much education as possible in his field of study;
(d) a degree from a high school that is well respected by western universities.
WHY STUDY IN THE WEST BEFORE GOING TO UNIVERSITY
There are many excellent high schools in China that are focused on preparing students to study in the west. They offer intensive English training, classes taught in English and help with applying to western universities. But there are some opportunities provided by studying in the greater Toronto area that are just not available at these schools. They include the following:
1. Immersion in western culture. Living in such a very different culture is a shock. It is much better to go through that experience before university for a number of reasons, including: (a) high school courses are not as demanding as university courses. They are deliberately designed to give students time to do other things; (b) university friendships can be very helpful in locating and achieving employment opportunities. The more time that your child has to develop his western social skills before going to university the easier it will be for him to form those friendships right from the beginning of his university life. It takes years to develop real confidence in a new culture.
2. If you select the right high school (see below), it will have support systems available to help your child both with additional learning English courses and with personal help in each course that he or she is studying at school. That kind of help is more difficult to find at universities and there is less time for it because the courses are so demanding.
3. Immersion in English. When learning a language, after one has learned basic skills there is no substitute for having to use it constantly. That is inevitable when studying in the west but almost impossible in China.
4. A recognized high school degree. Western universities generally have little information available to them about the quality of high schools in China. In contrast, they have lots of information available about schools located in the Toronto area. If your child goes to the right high school western universities will know that the grades that he or she obtains are reliable indicators of his performance.
5. Personal support. If your child selects the right high school he or she will receive orientation before school starts. Your child will receive a thorough language assessment, counselling as to what courses he or she should take to get the best preparation possible for what he wants to study at university and continuing support throughout the school year.
WHAT IS THE ‘RIGHT’ HIGH SCHOOL
We have referred several times to the “right” high school. Here at Aoyee we have specialized knowledge about many of the high schools in the Toronto area. This knowledge is very important in making the critical decision as to which high school is right for your child.
There are a fairly small number of internationally recognized private high schools in Toronto. They offer outstanding educational opportunities but have only a very small number of places available for foreign students.
This is why at Aoyee we have worked very hard to understand and develop relationships with public schools. Here are some reasons why the right public schools can be an excellent choice for your son:
1. They really want suitable foreign students as part of their student body. They recognize that foreign students can help local students learn about other cultures and so actually help local students be more successful. Not surprisingly, China is well regarded and respected as a source of foreign students. Not only are Chinese students generally respected for their dedication to their work, the increasing international status of China has resulted in increasing interest in learning about Chinese culture.
2. They offer the support referred to above. That includes English language testing before courses start, English language courses in addition to regular courses and academic counselling and support with choosing courses and succeeding in them.
3. They are a very good value. The cost of an academic year (September – June), including everything referred to in 2. above, is in the range of $13,000 Cdn dollars. That is about half of the cost of private schools in the Toronto area.
WHY THE TORONTO AREA IS AN EXCELLENT PLACE TO STUDY
1. Toronto is frequently ranked one of the best cities in the world. In August, 2015 the Economist ranked it highest:http://safecities.economist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/EIU_Safe_Citi…
2. Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world and one of the safest in North America:http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=dbe867b42d853410…
3. From Toronto it is easy to travel to many of the largest cities in the United States. Toronto is also very close to Niagara Falls and other scenic areas.
WHAT AOYEE CAN DO FOR YOU
We can assist you with the entire foreign student process, including:
(a) high school selection process;
(b) high school application process;
(c) after admission, securing a Canadian student visa;
(d) arranging suitable accommodations with a home stay family;
(e) airport pick up and delivery to home stay family;
(f) initial meetings with school officials to assist in orientation;
(g) liaison throughout the entire stay in Canada;
(h) help with applications to western universities and with students’ job search after they graduate;
(i) help with obtaining permanent resident status after they secure a job.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free initial consultation